Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and Tourette syndrome (TS) are highly co-morbid and complex, heterogeneous conditions that lead to significant impairment in functioning. In this two-day workshop you will learn how to assess and diagnose OCD and TS and differentiate them from other related disorders. In addition, you will learn how to treat them effectively in both pediatric and adult populations using evidence-based therapy by world renowned experts in OCD and TS.
12 Continuing Education Credit Hours will be offered for this training to NY Social Workers and all Psychologists.
Day One Objectives
- Participants will learn how to correctly assess, diagnose, and differentiate OCD from commonly co-occurring disorders.
- Participants will learn how to understand and explain the model of OCD and CBT to children, families, and adults, make an effective treatment plan, and obtain motivation for treatment.
- Participants will learn how to implement and troubleshoot cognitive strategies.
- Participants will learn to build a hierarchy, and how to execute and troubleshoot exposures for various obsessive themes.
Day Two Objectives
- Participants will learn to recognize and understand the phenomenology of Tourette Syndrome.
- Participants will learn the theoretical and empirical evidence underlying the use of behavior therapy for Tourette Syndrome.
- Participants will understand the structure and function of the comprehensive behavioral intervention for tics (CBIT).
- Participants will learn how to implement habit reversal training.
Dr. Lata K. McGinn is a tenured Professor of Psychology at Yeshiva University and Co-Founder of CBC. She has spent her career researching, training, and conducting CBT to understand and treat OCD and the full range of anxiety, stress, and depressive disorders. Her extensive publications span peer-reviewed journal articles, chapters, and her co-authored books, “Treatment of ObsessiveCompulsive Disorder” and, “Treatment Plans and Interventions for Depression and Anxiety Disorders.”
Dr. Douglas Woods is currently Professor of Psychology and Dean of the Graduate School at Marquette University. Prior to that he was Head of Psychology at Texas A&M University from 2013-2015, and a faculty member, Chair of Psychology and Associate Dean of the Graduate School at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee from 1999-2013. Dr. Woods has authored or co-authored over 270 papers or chapters, and authored or co-authored 9 books on Tic Disorders, Trichotillomania, and other repetitive behavior problems.
12pm-1pm: Lunch on your own
Cognitive & Behavioral Consultants (CBC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CBC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Cognitive & Behavioral Consultants, SW CPE, is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0219.
Workshop Registration Fee and Deadline:
$600 regular rate
$500 for groups of 5 or more
$400 student rate
Attending only one day would reduce the rate by half.
Please register by March 25th, 2019.